Re: IPv6 slashes

2003-11-30 08:16:24

On Nov 30, 2003, at 3:50 AM, Philipp Morger wrote:

In any case, one of the netmasks is useless - I strongly suggest that
you wither have an identifier like

id, proto, network, netmask
1,ipv4,212.25.25.0,24,
2,ipv6,2001::0,112
3,ipv4,127.0.0.1,32,

or leave the protocol out and do some magic in the code to detect if the
address is a ipv4 or ipv6 address

I would cast a vote strongly in favor of explicit specification of the protocol type. There's great benefit to having it clearly stated and human-readable as in Philipp's suggestion: "ipv4", "ipv6", etc. but little or no benefit to maintaining the confusing multiple slash syntax.

I'm not in favor of magic in the code to automatically infer net type. That adds just one more level of confusion that needs to be tested after someone installs records. It's pretty darned obvious though if they didn't enter "v4" or "v6" correctly (and allows automated tools to parse it as well).

We're all hoping for SPF to get wide adaptation, so we owe it to the millions of overworked netadmins to not make this anymore difficult than need be.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt