Re: IPv6 slashes

2003-11-30 04:50:32
On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 15:58:30 +0000, Jasper Wallace wrote:
Under the old syntax, it would have been mx:foo.com//126.
How do you do it under the new syntax?

Exactly the same way.

    MX           = 'mx'     [ ':' domain-spec ] [ dual-cidr-length ]
    dual-cidr-length = [ ip4-cidr-length ] [ '/' ip6-cidr-length ]

IMHO it's quite a shame that in a new RFC IPv6 has to struggle
with IPv4 - remember, RFCs sometimes get quite old, so in 20 years when
IPv4 is just a page in the history books, you might still have this RFC
in place and I also want to point out, that once this dns records are in
place, it would take the same effort to upgrade those records to a new
version. So IMHO it's quite bad to mix v4 and v6 and the thought in me
came up that: I mean look at it: ::1//128 - anybody who is in the network
field must ask himself - what where thoses guys thinking?

It makes absolutily no sense because:

1.0.0.0/24 - where do I want to add the v6 subnet? 1.0.0.0/24/64 doesn't
make sense at all....

::1/32/128 - for what the v4 netmask, it's not a v4 network...

in any case, on of the masks gets unused, becase the data (net network)
itself does not allow that, or to demonstrate it in a tiny db-layout

id, network, ipv4 netmask, ipv6 netmask
---------------------------------------
1,212.25.25.0,24,,
2,2001::0,,112
3,127.0.0.1,32,,
4,::1,,128

In any case, one of the netmasks is useless - I strongly suggest that
you wither have an identifier like

id, proto, network, netmask
---------------------------------------
1,ipv4,212.25.25.0,24,
2,ipv6,2001::0,112
3,ipv4,127.0.0.1,32,

or leave the protocol out and do some magic in the code to detect if the
address is a ipv4 or ipv6 address

I also wan't to point out that if you specify a cidr with the "a" option
that network folks might miss that because it is well adopted associated
that a ipv6 address belongs to a aaaa-record, so if you want to specify a
ipv6 address range I propose that you copy over the specs for the "a"
records specification, whipe all the ipv6 stuff in the a specs and
place all the needed specs of ipv6 in the new aaaa option.

Regards
Philipp

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt