Re: Eric Allman comments on SPF

2003-12-04 09:19:07
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

The way I would deal with this is to get the big ISPs together in a room
with the filter companies and run through the available options.

I think that the problem Libbey is raising here is a much more general
network configuration issue. Thats OK we can address that a number of ways.

This suggestion also raises the bar for adoption.  The current SPF
proposal is, "Add this record to your DNS server."  That's easier than
"Designate an engineer to attend a series of working group meetings,
and if those meetings go well, you won't have to redesign your mail
infrastructure to work with this new system."

SPF's biggest risk, practically its only risk, is that it'll never
achieve critical mass.  It has to be as easy as possible for domain
administrators to pick up.

As for the extra overhead of MX lookups, if you, the administrator of
domain X.Y, are getting hammered by MX lookups, you can decide not to
use the mx mechanism for domain X.Y, and use ip4 or 6 instead.  That's
independent of what any other domain does.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     kbob(_at_)jogger-egg(_dot_)com

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt