other mechanisms

2003-12-04 14:05:47
On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 08:45:14AM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

| For example I would like to be able to add into a domain information that
| says 'I am accredited by Ironport, check here'. The ability to advertise
| accreditation through the DNS allows much stronger statements to be made
| than authentication alone. It also means that the market for accreditation
| services can be made open, you do not need to be a well known brand to start
| offering accreditation services. Filtering systems with feedback systems
| will very quickly determine what the correct degree of weight is to apply to
| a new accreditation service.
|
| I would also like to extend beyond just using DNS based authentication. I
| would like to be able to say 'we authenticate all outgoing mail by S/MIME',

The current spec was designed to be upward-compatible with these sorts of
things.

Domains are welcome to publish mechanisms such as "ironport" or "habeas" or
"smime".

SPF clients that do not recognize those mechanisms will simply return "unknown".

The Mail::SPF::Query architecture is pluggable and will accommodate new
mechanisms.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.txt