Re: Starting spfd (FreeBSD)

2003-12-18 22:25:56

Alas, setuid (and maybe setgid) do not just "work" with my perl, which
is from freebsd ports (perl-5.8.0). IIRC setuid capability is a
compile-time choice, so many systems may not come with that enabled...

If you are thinking of suidperl (ie perl script has suid bit set,
and /usr/sbin/suidperl as the shell rather than /usr/bin/perl)
then that's true, many systems don't have it.

However I was assuming the script was to be run as root via
/etc/init.d/something for example, and doesn't require
suidperl.  I can't think of why a perl intepreter can't use
the setuid or setgid system call (achived by using
'$( = 111' or '$< = 111' to set(gu)id to (gu)id 11).

--
Brian Hatch                  "At some point we all need
   Systems and                to pay for what we do.

Every message PGP signed

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname(_at_)½§Åv¼ð¦¾Øß´ëù1Ií-»Fqx(_dot_)com