Re: Starting spfd (FreeBSD)

2003-12-18 09:06:38
Mark Foster wrote:

Alas, setuid (and maybe setgid) do not just "work" with my perl, which is from freebsd ports (perl-5.8.0). IIRC setuid capability is a compile-time choice, so many systems may not come with that enabled... I don't know. The other factor influencing the decision to not use setuid in the case of just a unix socket was the decreased likelihood of network-based attacks. Maybe a good direction to take this, is to have spfd do the setuid/setgid stuff, but warn (instead of die) on failure?

Uhm, why?

From a security standpoint I'd much rather have my program bail if it can't give up root priviliges rather than warn me. If your perl doesn't handle dropping root priviliges then don't ask spfd to do so.

I'm sorry to respond so strongly to this, but this is a privilege drop situation; similarly I don't believe a process should warn if a chroot() call fails, it should die() immediately.