RE: SPF articles for Linux Journal

2004-01-05 14:33:03

-----Original Message-----
From: Meng Weng Wong [mailto:mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com]

So Linux Journal has asked for a couple of articles on SPF.  This should
help increase visibility and adoption where we need it.

Article 1 will be an overview of the whole system plus a how-to for
publishing SPF records.  It will also prefute the common objections in a
"Myths and Facts" format.

I think you should concentrate on the ease-of-use and
do-it-now-because-it-helps features:

1. Most users can get away with IN TXT "v=spf1 +mx +ptr +a -all" in their name
   server
2. Dynamic DNS users can travel / operate from home with ease with a
   "+a:host.dyndns.org" directive
3. It is enough to publish a record to become joe-job proof and to increase
   the ham/spam rating of your mail messages, because soon everyone and their
   sister will be using the newest SpamAssasain, which has a large user-base

but don't forget to mention that you can have macros and address ranges and
simulate a regular RBL lookup and whatnot, so the more industrious readers
will not dismiss it as a low-feature lowest-common-denominator type of
solution.

I have thought it over, and I think that to initiate someone into the idea of
SPF in the most rapid way is to describe SPF as "a way to create a personal
black-list / white-list of mail senders for your own domain".

Article 2 will tell MTA admins how to download and activate SPF plugins.
The deadline is at the beginning of February so now's the time to try to
get SPF integrated into packaged MTAs.  Wietse Venema has agreed to
bundle the SPF plugin into Postfix.

This one should IMHO be easy enough for everyone to understand, but technical
enough to enable easy integration, and include as many MTA samples as possible
as well as mention SpamAssasain and procmail and .qmail solutions.

I think that the python utility / perl utility should be suggested as a way to
get a feel of SPF, complete with a number of domains to query.

I wouldn't push too hard on the deadline idea, although it's nice and symbolic.
I personaly don't think there should be a deadline and everyone should enable
SPF as they see fit. That's how things always worked on the Internet. The key
is accumulating mass, not necessarily acting in unison. That's my view.

-- Arik
This email and attachments have been scanned for
potential proprietary or sensitive information leakage.

PortAuthority(TM)  Server
Keeping Information Inside
Vidius, Inc.
www.vidius.com