RE: Re: Great stuff

2004-01-06 16:30:42
Jim Ramsay wrote:
R. Scott Perry wrote:
[1] You end up being a spammer (the majority of spam sent to you
will result in confirmation requests being sent to innocent victims)

On the off chance that a spammer puts in a "real" address in the
envelope sender (I think they usually just generate random strings),
this is true.  However, I feel that this is seldom and using SPF
should reduce this.

I don't really want to get into this discussion, but I thought that I
would mention that this exact scenario happens to myself and many of my
users quite often.  We regularly get undeliverables, bounces, and a few
challenge messages delivered to us because spammers use not only our
domains in the sender address, but also some of our active user
accounts.  It's quite annoying, and the primary reason I support the SPF
effort.  Not only do joe-jobs annoy me as an administrator of mail
servers, it annoys my users as well because their addresses are
regularly being used as the spoofed sender addresses.

---
Dustin D. Trammell
Vulnerability Remediation Alchemist
Citadel Security Software, Inc.