Re: SPF for Sendmail, without milter - preferably a ruleset

2004-01-08 11:20:18
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 10:09:01AM -0500, Meng Weng Wong wrote:
On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:17:43AM -0500, Jason Buchanan wrote:

| Does a ruleset exist which incorporates SPF into sendmail?
|
| I've seen the milter+perl script but do not want to use it for various
| reasons.

I'm not familiar with sendmail internals, but I would assume sendmail
would require a C patch to support a ruleset.  While the sendmail
ruleset language is, ahem, probably Turing-complete, a patch just seems
saner.  I understand someone is working on a C patch; when they are
done, maybe someone with Sendmail experience could integrate it?

I know Eric Allman was unhappy with SPF's complexity and told me he
preferred one of the simpler alternatives, eg. DMP, which would work
well with an existing DNSBL-style lookup.  If we can give him a patch,
that might help change his mind enough to put it in the distribution.

I've just had a read of
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fecyk-dmp-01.txt
which seems to have very similar objectives to SPF. Can
someone give a concise comparison of these 2 proposals,
in their current forms ?  Is it that SPF, in its current form,
needs more changes at the MTA end, while SPF requires more
changes to DNS servers, e.g. to support DNS wildcards ?