Re: SPF for Sendmail, without milter - preferably a ruleset

2004-01-08 12:19:56
On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Philip Gladstone wrote:

Do you think that we ought to goi ahead and do the magic DNS server for
those sendmail users who just want a single rule?

That would be nice.  The problem with code changes to sendmail is that a
lot of people run vendor supplied versions of sendmail, and adding even
the simplest patch is not an option, where as config file changes are easy
to implement.  For instance, anyone running Red Hat Linux probably doesn't
want to change from the Red Hat supplied sendmail binary because once you
change it, you're on your own for future security patches (this includes
me :) ).

So, a magic DNS server is a good idea, but I'd like to run my own rather
than rely on a centralized server somewhere.  What would be nice is a very
cut down DNS server that is able to do SPF lookups and return a
DNSBL-style A record that can be used in a sendmail rule.  Then sites
could choose to run this themselves, and there would be no central server
scaling issues.

--
"If the truth is out there, why can't I find it on Google?" -- Me.
GnuPG key available at http://www.keyserver.net/ or directly from me