Re: Forwarders

2004-01-09 18:51:28
In <w523caofvjo(_dot_)fsf(_at_)lame(_dot_)message(_dot_)id> seph
<seph(_at_)directionless(_dot_)org> writes:

wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

On that note, if you know of other forwarders that should be
whitelisted, please let me know.

every news site, they all have "send this article to a friend"

I have my doubts about whether these kinds of websites have enough
traffic to worry about.

pretty much every college alumnae server

Yep.

Are you really going to try to list them all?

I'm going to try and list as many of the major ones as I can.

The alternatives are:

1) Force all these sites to immediately use SRS.  (ain't gonna
   happen.)

2) Force all MTAs and spamfilters that check SPF records to develop
   their own whitelist.  (*ack*)

3) Force all publishers of SPF records to include exceptions for these
   forwarders. (big *ack*)

4) Accept that email through these forwarders will bounce if the
   sender's domain and the recipient both use SPF.

My "logic" is that creating a global whitelist that includes the most
important forwarders will allow early adopters of SPF to get along.
Basically, I am using reported problems to prioritize my adding to the
whitelist.

As more and more people start using SPF, more preasure will be placed
on forwarders to use SRS instead of being whitelisted.  Once a certain
point is reached, the trusted-forwarder whitelist can stop being
updated with changes.

Grandfathered forwarders will be fine as long as they don't change
anything.  Once they change IP addresses or domain names, they will
discover that things have broken and they will need to decide whether
they need to backout the changes, implement SRS, or let things bounce.

Eventually, the trusted-forwarder whitelist can flicker out of
existance and even grandfathered sites will have to make a choice.

Do you have any better ideas?

-wayne