Re: Forwarders

2004-01-10 12:50:17
--wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote:

In <w523caofvjo(_dot_)fsf(_at_)lame(_dot_)message(_dot_)id> seph
<seph(_at_)directionless(_dot_)org> writes:

wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> writes:

On that note, if you know of other forwarders that should be
whitelisted, please let me know.

every news site, they all have "send this article to a friend"

I have my doubts about whether these kinds of websites have enough
traffic to worry about.

pretty much every college alumnae server

Yep.

Another option is to do what mailing lists do - mark the envelope with their own address (mail from: in SMTP transaction and Return-Path: of <bounces(_at_)website(_dot_)com>) and leave the From: in the message as the supposed user. That way the receiver can click Reply to reply to the sender, but the website owner gets to deal with the bounces. If they want to notify the sender that the message came back, they can use SRS, or come up with their own other method to relay the bounce on to him, possibly adding their own message saying "We tried to send this for you but failed".

Most of these services verify the sender's address before allowing him to send. So, sending the bounces back to the user is probably fine, but if the sender is not verified they shouldn't be sending him bounces (nor should they fake his email on the outgoing message anyway).