libspf - ANSI C spf library w/ unix MTA patch(es)

2004-01-09 19:17:18
Greetings,

Myself and colleague Sean Comeau started along the path of developing
our own solution to the "Joe-dropping" problem when in mid engineering
we were told about SPF.  After having a look at the current install base
and its age, and the incredible amount of thought put into it, coding
for this project seemed a much more attractive idea.

Our library 'libspf' has been in development since Dec 10, but we have
avoided making any announcement with the mindset that if we were to
announce and then not deliver it would likely only stifle interest, in
addition to the unwanted stress saying something will be available and
then not being able to deliver brings.  Although this is slightly sooner
than we had intended to release, the focus upon SPF lately with the
impending Linux Journal article, and AOL's participation has motivated
us in this direction.  :-)

I've just checked in the last bit of Qmail code to our CVS server and
we'll be stress testing the library this weekend.  All things going well
there should at the very least be a public beta with a tested patch for
Qmail come early next week.  We also plan for patches to Sendmail,
Postfix, and Exim as soon as is reasonable.

Future plans include a Solaris and possibly windows port.  The library
is ANSI compliant but not necessarily C99.  Having it compile in other
place shouldn't be too much of a chore.  Currently we are running this
library under Qmail on Slackware, Gentoo, and OpenBSD.  I'm certain
FreeBSD and many others will also work fine.

I'll post more information as it becomes available or you can find me on
irc.pobox.com in channel #spf with Meng.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,