Re: proposed PGP mechanism for SPF

2004-01-15 20:10:29
Le 04-01-15, à 14:11, Mark a écrit :
From: <guillaume(_at_)filion(_dot_)org>
It's a pretty bold claim to say that Rijndael/AES is stronger than PGP. PGP can use TripleDES, and you'll have a hard time convincing me that AES
is stronger than TripleDES. AES is much faster and we hope that is is
stronger, but AES is a young cypher and time will only tell if it's
stronger than TripleDES.

Well, you're right: my claim was a bit bold. :) Friends in the cryptography business keep telling me Rijndael/AES is stronger. But since I am not enough of a math wizard to verify, or debunk, this myself, I will take your word
for it that things may not be so clear.

I'm not expert either, just an enthusiast. I was basically just repeating what I read on Crypto-Gram[1] a couple years ago.

Is, btw, TripleDES also available
for the international versions of PGP?

I don't have access to the PGPi version right now, but I'm pretty sure that it's included.

Anyway, I have been using Rijndael/AES quite successfully, though, in Perl, and it is blazing fast. That is primarily why I mentioned it: it is fast, and the extra overhead is quite minimal. From within Perl, calling PGP is rather an expensive operation, as it usually requires some file-preparation
and a system call to the executable to make things go.

Rinjdael/AES was meant to be fast, and it is. I read on the Soekris mailing list[2] that AES running in software on a 486 CPU is faster than Soekris' dedicated DES hardware crypto accelerator. Soekris has now released an hardware AES crypto accelerator[3] that has a 250 Mbps throughput.

Good night,
GFK's

Refs:
1: http://www.schneier.com/crypto-gram.html