Re: proposed PGP mechanism for SPF

2004-01-15 19:32:13
On Friday 16 January 2004 2:01 am, Greg Wooledge wrote:
wayne (wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com) wrote:
For a quarter million dollars, you can build a DES cracking system
that will churn out the answer in a day or so.  See:
http://www.eff.org/Privacy/Crypto/Crypto_misc/DESCracker/

So by the time SPF is fully adopted a PDA will be able to do it at the touch
of a button...

But seriously, if a crypto mechanism is included (and I'm not convinced it is
a good idea) then surely it will need to be extensible enough to ensure that
it does not get obsoleted simply by Moore's law. Something with arbitrary key
lengths is important.

I don't think forwarding should be reliant on any optional information needing
to published in an SPF record just to support it. Many site's will not bother
publishing these keys - they will not care to help forwarders - and hence
forwarding will break.

As far as other purposes are concerned, surely the term 'feature creep'
applies.

- Dan