Re: SPF design refrozen

2004-01-23 17:37:56
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

I apologize for any unhappiness caused by these issues.  I don't like
reexamining decisions like this, especially once the design has been
declared frozen.  Now it has been refrozen.

Don't apologize.  It's good that we're debating these issues and turning
them over in our heads.  It'll give us a better idea of what other people
are thinking of and to help us reaffirm that we're heading in the right
direction.

I hope that people understand that this decision means we'll alienate a
major stakeholder and we'll have to rely on ... everybody else.

We haven't alienated anyone.  How can an anonymous stakeholder who relays
their opinions via third parties be any more alienated than they already
are, by choice.  And as stated previously they could easily get an email
account at a domain not affiliated with their employer and participate
directly on the list.  I don't think anyone is attempting to exclude folks
here.  Besides, it's a little late in the game to make major structural
changes to SPF v1.  I agree with Wayne that we need to move forward and
assess the effects of SPF v1 first before we consider major changes and
the impact that they'd have.

"Everybody else" may be easier to convince of SPF's correctness, but
there are a lot more of them.

I think that "everybody else" will be fairly easy.  Working code speaks
volumes.  SPF is working now and rejecting forgeries for people who are
using that code.

 - .\\