Re: Handling forward?

2004-01-27 02:14:34
On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:38:55PM -0800, Dennis Carr wrote:

| Recently (IE, today), it was mentioned on Slashdot that AOL had
| implemented SPF.  Therein was a comment from a /. user that, because
| forwards would be mishandled, this is broken.
|
| Which now makes me curious, how would one handle forwards in the SPF
| record?

If you subscribe to a forwarding service, like bigfoot.com for example,
and if you run SPF on your MX server, you should give bigfoot.com a pass
so that it you won't be refusing mail just because bigfoot.com leaves
the original sender as is.  If you let it be refused, it's your fault
that you don't get your own mail.

If your real mail server is your ISP, you need to make sure your ISP
lets you designate what places can send you mail without SPF being
checked.

Remember in these cases it is the recipient end that arranged forwarding
and so should not refuse it.

Mailing lists can simply use the mailing list admin address as sender,
and put the submission address and original poster address in the RFC822
layer.

If you send mail to an email address at a forwarding service, and it sends
back the mail because it could not deliver it as intended by the subscriber,
then treat it like any other receipient end screwup, such as mail box full.
Their fault; let them fix it.

| Phil Howard KA9WGN       | http://linuxhomepage.com/      http://ham.org/ |
| (first name) at ipal.net | http://phil.ipal.org/   http://ka9wgn.ham.org/ |