Re: Mechanism usage in live SPF records

2004-01-27 11:24:32
Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
The only complaint I have that I have halfway sympathy in is the privacy
issue. I think these guys simply don't understand the proposal or the
privacy issue. Since when has the right to privacy given you the right to
impersonate me? That is all SPF prevents. If you want to be anonymous get
yourself your own domain name, there are plenty of ways to get one
anonymously.

Not to mention that there really *isn't* any privacy/anonymity in SMTP *now*. Your IP address is tracked and placed in the headers, everything is sent in plain-text, etc... if folks want privacy, then they need to be encrypting their e-mail, if they want anonymity then they need to use an anon-remailer.

SPF doesn't change that equation, except that in a strictly-managed domain, it takes away the *illusion* of privacy/anonymity because people are forced to route e-mail through managed servers which can log the e-mail traffic. (Yes - I'm preaching to the choir, I know... sorry!)

Wiki:
http://spfwiki.infinitepenguins.net/pmwiki.php/SenderPermittedFrom/HomePage