Re: Using headers instead of SRS

2004-01-27 13:12:41
----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Connor" <gconnor(_at_)nekodojo(_dot_)org>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2004 8:36 PM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Using headers instead of SRS

If SPF makes the claim of being able to stop forgeries, then
taking it to the next logical level makes sense. To me, the
next logical level for the spammer is to send

  From: support(_at_)microsoft(_dot_)com

Believe it or not, but that is actually the ideal situation. :) If a spammer
uses his own envelope-from domain, then we can even re-introduce domain
based block-lists (which now, due to all forgeries, was rather silly).

Or worse:

  From: service(_at_)paypal(_dot_)com

Imagine we were having this discussion ten years ago; but then not over SPF,
but over closing open relays. I'm sure people then came with similar
objections; like, "What if a spammer just uses a non-closed relay?" Well,
we've seen what happened. Those open relays were readily identified; their
administrators were warned; and, eventualy, they simply appeared on
block-lists.

Now, I am NOT suggesting that domains who publish no SPF records should, or
will, be blacklisted. But I am suggesting, that domain owners, whose non-SPF
domains are increasingly being used in forgeries, will themselves feel an
increased wish to protect the integrity of their domain names. And then we
came full-circle; because that was the purpose of SPF to begin with. :)

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,