RE: SPF extension

2004-02-04 19:11:15
If you only want to use the new scheme:

v=spf1 domainsig=always +all

Was this supposed to be -all?

Err, yes. Thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake (blush).

If not, I think I'm unclear on something.

The part we are missing is the extension model for the
modifiers. At the
moment we have a registry type approach. I think that will
probably be
sufficient. It worked on UUCP for years until they got to
thousands of
hosts. I would not anticipate more than a handful of modifiers.

I disagree on this point.

The alternative would be to introduce a syntax for extended modifiers,
similar to the XML extension mechanism:

v=spf1 spfns.new=http://tempuri.org/dk new.domainsig=always +all

Yuk! (and thats after trying to make it non yuk)

How likely are collisions that hurt?

The SPF result should not be changed by a modifier.  However, the SPF
result should not and will never be the final word on whether
an email is rejected or accepted.

OK, that is probably a better explanation of the semantics I was trying
to express.

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt