Re: SPF extension

2004-02-04 19:50:35
In <20040205015742(_dot_)GS1323(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> Meng Weng
Wong <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:

Before somebody else says it, I should point out the weakness of a
left-to-right processing scheme like SPF: only one new auth mechanism
can be gradually introduced.  We can't handle the semantics of "or".

Agreed.

If a domain wanted to assert that when its users aren't coming from a
known IP range, then its users always either sign mail with smime or
sign mail with domainkeys, it could assert

  v=spf1 a mx smime dk -all

But only clients that understood both smime and dk would be able to
fully parse this record.  For all other clients the domain might as well
not even publish a record beyond

  v=spf1 a mx ?all

Which is why you should use "v=spf1 a mx [-?~]all smime=y dk=y"

-wayne

But I suspect the above "failure modes" are academic.  The scenarios are
contrived.  I expect that a domain that has to resort to smime as an
authentication mechanism won't be able to do the "a mx" part.

On the contrary, I suspect that desire to use multiple extentions will
be common.  Consider:
"v=spf1 a mx ~all smime-done-my-way=blah smime-done-right=barf"

-wayne

Latest draft at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-mengwong-spf-02.9.5.txt