Re: A couple of thoughts

2004-02-14 07:57:37
Shevek (spf(_at_)anarres(_dot_)org) wrote:

  wooledge.org
  | MAIL
FROM:<greg-SRS0+HHH+TT+wooledge(_dot_)org+greg(_at_)wooledge(_dot_)org>
  V RCPT TO:<misspelled(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>
  mx.domain.com

What do you gain from this modification of SRS?

Immediate, simple implementation.  In fact, I did it last night.
(I haven't "caught" any spam with it yet, but if I'd had this in place
during the MyDoom period, I think it would've caught all those bounce
messages from broken virus scanners.)

This, I think, is where you're relying on the current internals of qmail.
Put libsrs into qmail and at this point, qmail will do a decode because
the local part will begin with SRS0=.

On that note, neither http://spf.pobox.com/srs.html nor
http://www.anarres.org/projects/srs/ has any links to libsrs.  And when I
did a Google search for libsrs, I found that there is already a different
library by that name; apparently part of "gnopernicus", which is some
sort of GNOME screen-reader.  See also:

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_contents.pl?word=libsrs&searchmode=searchfiles&case=insensitive&version=unstable&arch=i386

In any case, if and when a stable libsrs-qmail implementation arrives,
I can switch over to it.  Calling perl -e 'use Mail::SRS...' from a shell
script is fine for me, for now.

greg(_at_)wooledge(_dot_)org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |