Re: SRS integration with qmail (was: A couple of thoughts)

2004-02-16 17:33:49
Seth Goodman (sethg(_at_)GoodmanAssociates(_dot_)com) wrote:

1) How will SRS-unaware MUA's display the From: address, Reply-to: address,
etc. for SRS sender addresses to the user?  Will this be intelligible to an
SRS-unaware human?

None of the normal MUA headers are affected by this technique.  I only
change the envelope sender, which most (all recent?) MTAs will add to
messages as "Return-Path:".  End users will typically never see it at
all, unless they use the "Show all headers" features of their MUAs.

2) Does this affect the receiving user's ability to use
whitelists/blacklists?  This is not important to me, but some people are
fond of their kill files, so I'm just curious.

I guess that depends on which data they're using for the white/black
lists.  If they're filtering on the enveloper sender (Return-Path),
then they'll have to be clever about it.  But I suspect that most
people will be whitelisting on the "From:" header.  I'm not so sure
about blacklists....

greg(_at_)wooledge(_dot_)org              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |