Re: A couple of thoughts

2004-02-19 10:19:54
In <20040219170644(_dot_)GG26033(_at_)csi(_dot_)hu>
mw-list-spf-discuss(_at_)csi(_dot_)hu writes:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 09:23:29AM -0600, wayne wrote:

If you don't forward messages, you don't have a problem.  There are
actually a lot of places that don't.

Those places cannot implement SPF, because SPF breaks bouncehandling
(have not we said this before):

Yes, those places *can* implement SPF.  Many already have.

I am a user at an ISP that has SPF but no SRS, and no forwarding
allowed.

If the ISP does no forwarding, then the ISP doesn't have to use SRS.

          I send a message to a friend who forwards it to his new
account.  The forwarding is done without SRS, so if the message
bounces from my friend's new account, it will bounce directly to my
account.

If the ISP that your friend's new account is on implements SPF, then
most likely the forwarded email will be rejected at SMTP time.  What
the forwarder does with this rejection is up to them.

Because the forwarder does forwarding, they need to either use
something like SRS, or they need to get your friends new ISP to
whitelist them.

The forwarder does not have to implement SPF.

SRS and SPF solve different problems.  While you on't have to do
either, I recommend that everyone does both.

          Will my ISP accept the bounce?

Probably

                                          Does it have anything to do
with my server not forwarding messages?