Re: A couple of thoughts

2004-02-16 03:48:47
On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:57:37AM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
  wooledge.org
  | MAIL
FROM:<greg-SRS0+HHH+TT+wooledge(_dot_)org+greg(_at_)wooledge(_dot_)org>
  V RCPT TO:<misspelled(_at_)domain(_dot_)com>
  mx.domain.com

What do you gain from this modification of SRS?

Immediate, simple implementation.

There are existing outside-of-the-MTA implementations which use
qmail-compatible VERP formats which you might want to try; see TMDA for
example.

If you're just validating bounces, you don't have to worry about using a
"standard" like SRS, because it relies on a secret key anyway, so only *you*
are able to do the validation.

My personal interest, though, is in integrating with the MTA, because that's
what I'd need in an ISP environment. And SRS does have the very strong
advantage of not requiring any escaping of the local-part of an E-mail
address.

Regards,

Brian.