Re: A couple of thoughts

2004-02-22 02:49:10
--Mark <admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net> wrote:

So, I now
defined this (for all my virtual domains):

SRS0+*(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)com    admin
@asarian-host.com    error:nouser "550 User Unknown"

Which tells sendmail all SRS+ address at asarian-host.com are, in
principle, valid, but to reject all other wildcard addresses. I said
valid "in principle", because, with the Milter in-between, addresses with
a fake SRS signature will be rejected by the Milter.

Wouldn't this all be easier if SRS rewrites used a different virtual domain, like bounce.asarian-host.com, or even srs.asarian-host.com?

I thought the point of SRS was to make bounces go back to the original sender... if you want bounces to go to "admin" there is a much easier way to rewrite messages you are forwarding to come from admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)com(_dot_) So, does the milter do something else besides a true reversal of SRS? i.e. if you did SRS while forwarding, you would be rewriting the recipient on receipt of a bounce back to your SRS address? In which case, the virtusertable isn't needed because the bounce goes back to the decoded sender and not "admin". Am I missing something?