RE: Re: SPF Guess

2004-03-21 02:49:04
--On Samstag, März 20, 2004 16:27:32 -0500 Marc Alaia <marc(_at_)alaia(_dot_)net> wrote:

Ralf,

Meng and I were originally discussing a means of using the SPF routines to
include a blacklist.  The idea was to pass a macro to the SPF 'guess'
process ("-exists:%{ir}.sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org" for example) which would
produce a fail if the IP was blacklisted.

Yes, I know. It is just the wrong place, you should use "local" instead of "guess" for this.

This is no different than
implementing blacklisting at other phases of the mail transport, it is
just that I was hoping to do it with the SPF code.

You _can_ do that. But "guess" has specific semantics (ignore "fail" results) that may be important in some installations. Changing these semantics might break setups, so I can see no reason not to use "local" for it as it can implement blacklisting with that, too (CMIIW).

[...]
As for using the 'local'
part (explained below), that is not something that I can do.  I was
simply talking about using SPF mechanisms and modifiers.

If you can pass a macro to the "guess" parameter of M:S:Q then you can pass something to "local", too.

Ralf