Re: AOL Spam down 27%

2004-03-25 14:51:36
In <MHEGIFHMACFNNIMMBACAOEIIHKAA(_dot_)sethg(_at_)GoodmanAssociates(_dot_)com>
"Seth Goodman" <sethg(_at_)GoodmanAssociates(_dot_)com> writes:

What would this final solution look like? I think:

[long discussion deleted]

Let me know when you have actual code that implements your ideas.

I hope you're not implying that only people who are writing implementations
have the right to suggest ideas that will be seriously considered.  Brian
obviously spent considerable time developing and writing up his ideas, and
posted them for the benefit of the group.  That kind of effort deserves
serious consideration.

 "Good" ideas are a dime-a-dozen.  "Good" ideas without an
implementation often don't look so good after all the subtle problems
have come out when you try to put put the idea into action.  "Good"
ideas without implementations aren't particularly useful for most
people.

I considered Brian's discussion, and I see some things that look like
obvious problems to me.  However, since Brian decided to leave the
mailing list and no one has else has said that they are going to
implement the ideas, it isn't worth my time commenting on it.

If someone starts to come up with actual code that implements the
idea, I would be interested and it would be worth my time to comment
then.  I might even be interested in contributing code.

I should note that the idea of a designated sender has been around for
many years.  I implemented a very simple one over a year ago and added
a plugin to SpamAssassin to support it.  At the time, none of the
other designated sender proposals had working code.  When Meng put up
the SPF website, he also put up working code.  That is the primary
reason I abandoned my implementation and started pitching in here.

Action speaks louder than words.

-wayne