Re: some statistics

2004-04-15 09:18:49
From: "Meng Weng Wong" <mengwong(_at_)dumbo(_dot_)pobox(_dot_)com>

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 06:51:23PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

| I'm not sure I can explain why this attitude is so deadly. These are
major
| scientific research groups, such as SIGGRAPH. As a matter of doing my
job, I
| cannot bounce mail from their mailing lists and say "too bad they won't
do
| it right: blocking potential spam is worth you're not being to see any
| messages from any mailing list members in our domain".

Can you give an example?  Perhaps we are talkinga bout different things
here.

It looks to me like SIGGRAPH runs mailman, which does the right thing.

In fact, every known MLM does the right thing.

See http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg00880.html

only /etc/aliases mailing lists are a problem, and only if they do not
have an owner-listname alias in /etc/aliases.

Good pointer, thank you.

I'll ask the recipients for a message I can post the headers from: I'm
reluctant to post full headers without their permission. My external mail
logs, though, look like this:

    Apr 15 10:24:15 cambridge sendmail[21596]: i3FEODBi021596: Milter add:
header: Received-SPF: none (cambridge.merl.com: domain of
papersadmin-bounces(_at_)siggraph(_dot_)org does not designate permitted sender
hosts)

This does look OK, I grant.