Re: RCPT TO: rejecting

2004-05-26 19:43:36

On May 26, 2004, at 10:11 PM, Seth Goodman wrote:
We'll see how the DomainKeys stuff plays out, that stuff looks exciting
too.

Well, I have to admit, I'm totally flabbergasted.  A CBV is far too
expensive and abusive, but fetching a cert from a CA, pulling out the key and validating the private key signature is fine. You also have to buy a cert from VeriSign or their ilk for every employee at a company. Using the PKI probably takes three times the network bandwidth and a boatload of CPU,

What? Where is purchasing a cert for every employee in the DomainKeys specification? PKI is probably 3x more expensive? That isn't so, but you can feel free to do a IP diagram to prove me wrong.

Boatload of CPU? Not really, signing and verifying in PKI systems is quite fast on today's inexpensive commodity hardware.

even with a hardware accelerator, but at least we don't have to do a CBV!

No and Yes. No it isn't that expensive. Yes, at least we don't have to do a CBV.

I'm glad that you think it's worth all this cost simply to avoid a CBV that
_might_ not be to the message originator.  At least we're clear your

At some large sites we see 9/10 messages as spam+virii. You said yourself that most spam is sent with forged sender and we all know that most virii are. So _might_ turns into likely.

objection to CBV is not based on technical or economic grounds.

CBV is cheap! It burns other people's money and resources. Even spending victims' money, performing a CBV has local resource costs. I submit that $/message/second CBV is more expensive to implement that PKI validation. That of course is speculation on my part. We have built a system that can perform 500,000+ inline CBVs per hour, but have not yet built DomainKeys support in -- its on the todo list. After we add support for DomainKeys we'll know better.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth