Re: OT: spammers

2004-05-27 08:02:00
On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 03:21:14PM +0200, Alain Knaff wrote:
However, what they're confronted with is a situation where 0.1% of
their audience is annoyed so much about spam that we're ready to
spend significant amounts of time to fight spam (by developping tools
and protocols to stop them).

If the spammers would have been smart, they would have *negatively*
selected us, so that much less of us would get spam.

So the question is not to prune down their list to these 10% of users
who might be dumb enough to click on the spamvertized links, but
rather to remove those 0.1% who are motivated enough to file
complaints, develop tools, etc.

Less spam for highly motivated antispammers => less spam-blocking
tools in existence => more spam for the unwashed masses.

I have hunch that spammers are getting a good laugh out of us 0.1% that
get all fired up about spam to the point that we go through great lengths
to counter it. I think they also know nothing will significantly hinder there
operations for at least a decade, by which time they've made enough money
to retire on the bahama's or something.

Koen

--
http://www.sonologic.nl/