Re: What about reverse source path?

2004-05-28 05:26:20

Paul Iadonisi wrote:
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 19:25, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:

On May 27, 2004, at 2:17 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

I have not yet seen a good answer to why we can't resurrect the reverse
source path.

I agree with you. I raised this question recently. One answer I got is here:

http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200405/0349.html

  You know, with the minimal consideration of reverse source path
resurrection, the rush towards XML even though there's been many good
reasons to NOT use XML argued, and the dearth of assurances that the new
merged proposal will avoid any of Microsoft's disclosed patent(s), is
giving the distinct impression that this is no longer an open forum. That, "damnit, where GONNA us XML, where GONNA ignore the Microsoft
patent issue, and where GONNA use DAVE" is apparent path we're on is a
concern.  One gets the feeling that the merged proposal was arrived at
just so as to not piss off Microsoft.
  Well, I say, too fricken bad if Microsoft gets pissed off.  Let's see
some real discussions about these issues instead of just "XML is the
modern way of doing things, screw the GPL and don't worry about the
Microsoft patent(s), and modify the SMTP protocol even if it kills us".
  Yes, I know I'm exaggerating a little, but I'm beginning to see that
I'm not the only one with these concerns.
  So what gives?

Well, there is fine precedent on the Internet for the use of "rough consensus and running code". We have both for SPFv1, obviously Microsoft has neither for XML extensions and CIDfEM. Reverse source path
is another area of running code, all we need is a rough consensus
and apprpriate procedure.

Meng: ISTR that IETF committee proceedings are _not_ necessary for an RFC. Hence I propose submitting SPFv1 as an RFC, either the current version with SRS recommended, or a modified version wirh RSP recommended.