Re: What about reverse source path?

2004-05-28 09:52:19
On Fri, 28 May 2004, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

Does the M$ patent mean that I am not allowed to interpret the CID data
that M$ publishes without a license?  Am I allowed to distribute a program
which interprets their XML data?

This is a serious issue.  I just wrote a CID parser for Python.  If
I incorporate it in Python Milter and distribute it - can M$ legitimately
sue me?  (I know they can sue me anyway.  Legit or not the result
will be the same.)

Alternatively, I can provide pre-translated records in DNS for use
by Python Milter, updated periodically by a script.  Does that violate their
patent?

It really burns me up that this is even a consideration...