Re: What about reverse source path?

2004-05-28 09:46:08
On Fri, 28 May 2004, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

It is my understanding that people will only have to use XML if the
current SPF syntax can't support the required extentions.  I think for
the vast majority of people/domains, SPFv1 will be the only thing they
will ever need to worry about.

  If this is indeed true, then this is good news.  Especially since...

The GPL patent issue, however, I take very seriously.

  ...it will at least be possible to implement a libspf-nonxml library
under, maybe, the LGPL for those who do not wish to use xml at all.

Does the M$ patent mean that I am not allowed to interpret the CID data
that M$ publishes without a license?  Am I allowed to distribute a program
which interprets their XML data?

Am I allowed to put some XML data in CID format in my DNS?

What if I translate their published XML data to SPF by hand?  What if
I write a script to automate the hand translation?

The whole patented fileformat thing is so evil - I can't believe SPF
is having anything to do with a patented fileformat.