RE: What about reverse source path?

2004-05-28 15:12:31
On Fri, 28 May 2004, Seth Goodman wrote:

Neither Pro nor Con
-------------------

1) Starting from MTA code that supports neither SPF nor CID, it's probably
similar effort to prepend the source address to a source route list as it is
to add the new ESMTP parameter for outgoing messages.

[Comment:  What do I know?  I don't write MTA code.]

For sendmail, prepending the source path can be done with CF macros.
No patch for the sendmail binary required.

Supporting RFROM requires support in the sendmail binary.  The support
is simple, looking at sendmail-8.12.10 and giving a pseudocode overview:

   if param == "SIZE":
     set_macro('msg_size',value)
     ctx.size = int(value)      # save size for sanity checking later
   # ...  other ESMTP params
   if param == "RFROM":
     set_macro('msg_rfrom',value)

Many ESMTP parameters are simply passed along to CF and milters via
macro values.  I suggest that the next sendmail version should have
a default handler for any unknown ESMTP param that simply sets a macro
with a similar name.