Re[2]: XML!! Lets bang square peg into round hole!!

2004-06-01 06:51:23
Tuesday, June 1, 2004, 5:26:54 PM, rgreene wrote:

rto> James Couzens said:
Everyone,

In my (humble) opinion:

Why are people actually STILL contemplating using XML?  What the hell
has gone wrong with the world?!...  ---- Snip ----

rto> Golly!  I get the impression that you may not like this whole "let's merge
rto> SPF & CID" thing.

rto> I agree that SPF works as is.  Leave it alone.

I disagree - it ignores the sender address that recipients actually
"see", so "works" is a misleading word.  Yeah - it "works", except
SPFv1 does "practically nothing at all" to prevent the very thing SPF
was designed to prevent (joe jobs), so alone, it's pointless. No
sensible business is going to deploy SPFv1 because the answer to the
question "Does it stop people sending stuff out using our email
address?" is "No.".

v2 is essential (or, CID should be used instead of SPFv1 - whichever),
and bloat is unavoidable because people like me and PoBox don't want
to force people to read "From:" addresses that are 2 lines long and
full of "="'s - but we still want "server accountability".

Just my .02c

Chris.

rto> It does not need
rto> Microsoft's nor Yahoo's blessing to continue to spread.  I was happiest
rto> with the proposal before it began it's v2 feature bloat.  It was simple,
rto> elegant and effective.

rto> -------
rto> Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/

rto> The Inbox Event at the Marriott San Jose features SPF.
rto>    June 2: Email Accountability Symposium (free)
rto>    June 3: SPF Strategy BOF (free) where industry will coordinate
deployment timeline
rto>    Times: 6:30pm - 8pm, both sessions.  http://www.inboxevent.com/

rto> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
rto> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
subscription,
rto> please go to