Re: Re[2]: XML!! Lets bang square peg into round hole!!

2004-06-01 09:21:15
James Couzens said:
In my (humble) opinion:

Why are people actually STILL contemplating using XML?  What the hell
has gone wrong with the world?!...  ---- Snip ----

Tuesday, June 1, 2004, 5:26:54 PM, rgreene wrote:

rto> I agree that SPF works as is.  Leave it alone.

--Chris Drake <christopher(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:
I disagree - it ignores the sender address that recipients actually
"see", so "works" is a misleading word.  Yeah - it "works", except
SPFv1 does "practically nothing at all" to prevent the very thing SPF
was designed to prevent (joe jobs), so alone, it's pointless.

I think the merger talks with MS are important. This is not to say that we should all capitulate and use XML, but there are other reasons (mostly non-technical) why some level of cooperation makes sense.

IETF is a big one. Together SPF and CID can have some influence and each end up with 80% of what we want, plus the added bonus of being an Internet RFC. Separately, we have the power to pull the working group apart and end up with something resembling nothing we really want.

So, in my mind, it's not important to bow to MS, but if we have the opportunity to make some minor adjustments and get facing the same direction, I think we ought to try.

In comparison to our "which is better" debates, MS seems to have sidestepped the whole issue by saying "OK we will read and accept both formats". They are also re-swizzling their XML to use the same mechanisms (a, mx, ptr, etc) so we have already exerted some amount of influence there. I don't think it would be such a terrible thing to have receivers read and understand both, and then let publishers do what they want.

That's all for now
gregc