Re: SUBMITTER is a bad idea

2004-06-05 06:33:57
Aredridel wrote:

allows you to reject faked bounces

Sorry, I can't reject anything at all, I'm only a POP3 user.

With SPF I can define which IPs are allowed to send mail from
my domain, and this allows all recipients to reject fakes, as
far as they support SPF and interpret "-all" as REJECT.

For a short period this will "only" reduce the number of
useless bounces.  But the spammers will soon learn that it's
a really stupid idea to forge addresses in domains protected
by SPF, and then the useless bounces will completely stop.

That's the theory, AFAIK, and Seth's example would break it.
Going back to the start of this thread:

| But suddenly we are verifying one address and sending
| bounces to another!
[...]
| what is being achieved here is a total destruction of the
| utility of the protocol
                         Bye, Frank