RE: Re: SUBMITTER is a bad idea

2004-06-05 11:39:23
From: Frank Ellermann
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 8:34 AM

Aredridel wrote:

allows you to reject faked bounces

Sorry, I can't reject anything at all, I'm only a POP3 user.

This is an MTA protocol, though it is possible to implement it in your MUA,
depending on how hard you want to work.  On the receiving side, it could be
added to SpamAssassin, relegated to a separate plug-in or built as a proxy.
The sending side is somewhat more difficult, as the address put into MAIL
FROM has to change every day.  A plug-in or proxy would probably be the
easiest way to do it.

In addition to being a lot of work, it is somewhat antithetical to the
spirit of SPF, which seeks to reject forgeries during the SMTP transaction,
preferably before DATA.  While I sympathize with anyone's situation today
whose providers don't do appropriate blocking, this protocol is fairly easy
to implement in MTA's and that's where it belongs.  At least that's my
opinion.

--

Seth Goodman