RE: FTC: we need sender authentication before "Do Not Spam" can work

2004-06-16 23:36:10
On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 23:21, Seth Goodman wrote:
I've never heard of a blacklist that waits for spammer to respond when there
is evidence in hand.  If you believe that system operators would prefer to
use a list with that policy, I encourage you to start one.  The market has
done an excellent job of expressing what people want, and it does not seem
to include "spammers' rights".

Actually the "daddy of all blacklists", the MAPS RBL works like this:

From http://www.mail-abuse.com/services/mds_rbl.html :

  "All listings have been carefully investigated and confirmed to be
   a source of spam. Before any IP address is added to this list,
   effort is made to contact the owner of the address and correct the
   issue of spam being sent. Addition to this list is only as a last
   resort after an agreeable resolution cannot be made."

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul(_at_)city-fan(_dot_)org>