Re: FTC: we need sender authentication before "Do Not Spam" can work

2004-06-17 02:43:16
On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:16:10PM -0400, John Glube wrote:
My concern is this. To many people, the Internet
is a low cost way of getting into business. I am
talking about running simple honest businesses.
These people are not associated with the DMA or
any other large marketing organization.

Just ordinary folks, who want to make a better
life for themselves and in doing so are prepared
to follow some basic rules. No sending of UBE. No
marketing of illegitimate or illegal businesses.
Run a clean business. Give good service for good
value.

Presumably it is not the intention of seeing
these folks shut out of the market place as we
move from an open e-mail system to a closed
e-mail system, or am I mistaken?

If you're doing bulk email for marketing, there's always someone getting
pissed of because they didn't ask for your bulk email. Maybe some friend
(or enemy?) signed you up somewhere, maybe you opted in somewhere not
knowing that that opt-in meant you opt-in to several different bulk
emailers.

If spam can be halted, i'll accept the few 'legitemite' bulk emailers
that also won't be able to deliver their crap to me.

Besides, there are no rules for bulk email marketing that exclude that
people will not be happy with your bulk email. One way or other, you'll
always end up being blamed for sending spam. The best thing is simply
not to send out bulk email.

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html