RE: FTC: we need sender authentication before "Do Not Spam" can work

2004-06-17 11:53:23
On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:59:57 -0500, Seth Goodman wrote

It is unfortunate that CAUCE has taken that position, and it seems
to fly in the face of the facts.  Millions of users and thousands of
systems operators disagree with them, however.  I personally used
the SpamCop blacklist for a number of years and though there were
several documented incidents of inappropriate listings, I never
experienced a non-delivery because of that list.

I have.  I've also seen several legitimate sites get blacklisted, including
the Linux kernel mailing list.  Spamcop's automated system is both overly
sensitive and trivially easy to manipulate.  I've seen sites get blacklisted
because of a single complaint, and Spamcop's reaction to any erroneous
listings are "too bad, you'll just have to wait for it to expire."