RE: FTC: we need sender authentication before "Do Not Spam" can work

2004-06-16 10:01:53
From: Lars Dybdahl
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 1:00 AM

Tirsdag den 15. juni 2004 23:35 skrev Meng Weng Wong:
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2004/06/canspam2.htm

Try to imagine that every country has a "do not spam me" e-mail list,
because the legislators are trying to convert their snail mail
anti-spam laws into e-mail anti-spam laws word by word.

I really hope, that the legislators in EU and USA understand, that
these kinds of lists should be based on market principles, since the
definition of spam is subjective, and not something that can be
written into a law.

I'm not sure I agree that it has to be subjective, since spam is more about
behavior than content.  SpamHaus has what I think is a very good working
definition.  Unfortunately, I can't reach their site right now, so I can't
provide a link.  It basically defines spam as UBE - Unsolicited Bulk Email.
To be spam, it must be both unsolicited and bulk.  Unsolicited means no
direct prior business relationship and no evidence of user opt-in with
subsequent confirmation.  Bulk means that substantially the same message is
sent to a large number of users.

They also have a technical definition of spam that sounds like it was
drafted by a bunch of lawyers.  That one is pretty specific, and my
recollection is that the criteria were objective, though incomprehensible to
mere engineers :)

--

Seth Goodman