Re: Spf sendmail-milter

2004-06-17 06:06:08

My apologies for the harsh language yesterday, I seem to have misread
part of Cris's post and taken it entirely wrong.

I would note that as the head of operations for a company that
depends upon reaching thousands of people by e-mail in a timely
and automated fashion to perform our service for clients, that
any solution that requires human intervention is, for us, a
non-solution. Check the URL in my sig for details of what we
do if you are curious.

We have many panelists that use Mailblocks, and they either
manually whitelist our survey address, or they get removed
from our pool of potential panelists as unreachable. Much the same
for any other whitelist/CR technology out there.

Chris Drake wrote:
| N> So to make effective use of SPF I really need to have my own mail
| N> server, which means moving to dsl on a fixed ip.
|
| Running a mail server on DSL might not be a good idea - if your DSL is
| DUL or RBL listed (most are) you'll find some stuff you send won't
| reach the recipients.
|
| N> My problem is this:- We are getting 6,000 to 9,000 emails per day
99.?%
| N> spam. At present these get filtered quite effectively with SA. This
will
| N> get worse before it gets better. If I can't get most of these filtered
| N> out at isp level what should be my best course of action?, if I don't
| N> change my email address.
|
| SPF is *NOT* an anti-spam technology.
|
| It will not have ANY NOTICEABLE IMPACT on your spam problem EVER.
|
| Have you looked at CR technology?  Purists hate it because some
| bounced spams end up hitting the forged senders addresses, however, it
| does eradicate 100% of your spam without any danger that you'll ever
| miss and email due to a false positive.  Places like mailblocks.com
| might be worth checking out.  You've just got to figure out how much
| money your 9000 spams are costing you, and whether or not their fee is
| worth it of course.
|
| N> Nigel
|

| N> ________________________________________________________________
|
| N> Kilner Vacuumation Co. Ltd. http://www.kilner-vacuum-lifting.com
| N> Tel. +44 1246 416441        Fax. +44 1246 290573
| N> ________________________________________________________________
|
| N> Scanned for viruses by F-Prot Antivirus - http://www.f-prot.com
|
| N> All information contained in this email is confidential and may
| N> be used by the intended recipient only.
|
| N> -------
| N> Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/
| N> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
| N> Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
| N> To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
subscription,
| N> please go to
|
| -------
| Sender Policy Framework: http://spf.pobox.com/
| Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss/current/
| Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
| To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily deactivate your
subscription,
| please go to

- --
Daniel Taylor          VP Operations            Vocal Laboratories, Inc.
dtaylor(_at_)vocalabs(_dot_)com   http://www.vocalabs.com/
(952)941-6580x203