Re: Spf sendmail-milter

2004-06-16 07:43:55
Nigel wrote:
So to make effective use of SPF I really need to have my own mail server,

No, it means the mail server handling your incoming mail should do SPF checks, or some user-level filter should do the equivalent checks (this is more complicated because it requires the filter to figure out what the sender's IP address and envelope sender address were). ISPs *could* run SPF checks on their own servers and indeed AOL will be doing so later in the year.

which means moving to dsl on a fixed ip.

Ideally, that's the easiest way for you.

My problem is this:- We are getting 6,000 to 9,000 emails per day 99.?% spam.

SPF is not an anti-spam tool. It is an anti-forgery tool. It just happens that much spam is forged, but once SPF is rolled out more widely, spammers will use other techniques that make SPF less effective.

At present these get filtered quite effectively with SA. This will get worse before it gets better. If I can't get most of these filtered out at isp level what should be my best course of action?, if I don't change my email address.

I'd stick with SA. Version 3.0 of SA will incorporate SPF checking anyway, so no need to do anything else yourself.

Regards, Paul.