RE: Possible New Mechanism Prefix

2004-06-25 08:24:29
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Daniel
Taylor
Sent: Thursday, June 24, 2004 10:49 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Possible New Mechanism Prefix

Right, your correct SPF record would be
"v=spf1 a mx ?include:comcast.net -all"

This says: If it is from a machine I directly control, it
is definitely me, if it is from a machine comcast says is OK
it is probably me, if it is from anywhere else it is a forgery, drop it.

? _is_ the "softpass" type you are asking about, we just call
it "neutral". You aren't supposed to drop neutral results, because
the policy of the domain sending the mail says they might be valid.

That certainly isn't clear from reading the spec and the web site.  It
appeared to me that SPF was about defining permitted sender and comcast.net
is a permitted sender for my domain.

That said, I understand now and will move on.

I would like an option to be able to assert something beyond neutral.  I'll
try again in a separate message.

Scott Kitterman