Re: AOL's impatient servers (was: Re: AOL rejecting hosts with no rDNS?)

2004-06-28 06:04:31
On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:50:06 +0100, Tim Meadowcroft wrote
I use qpsmtpd (http://smtpd.develooper.com/) at home and it has a
plugin module that specifically looks for this behaviour (it sleeps
for a second on connection, and then checks to see if the other end
has been sending data already).

Yes...Exim essentially has this check built in.

I thought maybe the problem was my identd lookup -- if the host at the other
end was blackholing packets to the identd port, it would take 30 seconds to
time out.  I disabled it, and this solved the problem with another site, but
AOL's servers are still sending data before they get the 220 banner.  The
*only* delay they see now should be the wait for the reverse DNS lookup to
complete.

I haven't checked my logs, but I know plenty of qpsmtpd users find
this to be one of the single most successful spam/virus filters.

It's amazingly effective, especially if coupled with a longer delay for hosts
that are on a spam blacklist.  I delay hosts that are on a few dynamic IP and
spam blacklists, or that have no reverse DNS, for 40 seconds before the 220
greeting.  Any RFC-compliant mailer will have no problem with this, but a lot
of spam software starts blissfully sending away before the delay is up.  Those
connections are sent a 5xx response and dropped.

Delaying 60 seconds after each bad RCPT TO: command also seems to help with
"dictionary attack" spammers.  Often they give up after a couple rounds; if
not, at least it bogs them down.