Re: Software is Buggy and Immature!

2004-06-28 15:33:46

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lawless" <lawless(_at_)spamcop(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 5:32 PM
Subject: [spf-discuss] Software is Buggy and Immature!

I'm giving up on SPF for a few months.  All of the SPF
implementations are buggy and extremely difficult to implement.
No SA on this earth has two days to screw around downloading one
Perl module after another only to discover yet another
undocumented dependency.  SPF will not be adopted until cleanly
packaged, bug-free, and comprehensive solutions are available.
Just one would do the trick!  I'm amazed I gave it so much time.

I finally got the Milter working with a 'fallback' record only
to discover that you can't whitelist senders using the
'access.db', and that no other simple whitelisting capability
exists.  The 'sendmail' milter whitelist patch does not work.
Useless!!!

The list of modules and binaries for RedHat Linux at
ftp://www.city-fan.org/pub/contrib are pretty good, and run quite well. Do
please contact the authors and notify them of your difficulties, even if you
don't have a good patch or workaround for them!

The Perl dependency fun and games can be an adventure: have you tried using
the "perl -MCPAN -e shell" tool to have perl itself try to find and compile
all the necessary dependencies for you?