Re: Reputation Services and HELO/EHLO Checking For Unified SPF

2004-07-04 03:08:16
Karl Prince <spf(_dot_)pobox(_at_)princeweb(_dot_)com> writes:

* What I was trying to say (and still struggling to do
eloquently), is that coz of the current state of SMTP, it has
been historically very easy (and cheap) to have vanity domain
email. However as we more to a more secure/trustworthy SMTP
system, this will cease to be the case, and (vanity) domain
owners are likely to have to spend more than just a
registration fee to have their mail accepted.

Why? Surely all that should be necessary is to publish SPF (or MARID)
DNS records that indicate the MTAs which will be sending their mail
and either running their own MTA or using SMTP-AUTH to connect with
the MTA which will send the mail. None of which should cost much and
in many cases will be free.

Also, in terms of traceability and accountability, would it not be
better for all ISP customers to have their own domain, either
commercial or 'vanity', rather than using xxxx(_at_)isp(_dot_)com email
addresses?