Re: libspf vs libspf2? Hunh?

2004-07-02 04:31:15
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Jeff A. Earickson wrote:

Hi,
   I'm relatively new to the list, and I'm puzzling over
libspf vs libspf2.  I searched the list archives and note that
there has been a bit of a flame-war in the past, that I don't
want to rekindle.  My needs/desires are:

heh. Judging by the flood of responses from James, you've nearly managed
it. Have fun!

* an SPF app that builds into sendmail 8.13 (for Solaris 9),
  hopefully without having to use a milter.  I don't use milters
  now and SPF seems important enough that it ought to just be a
  part of sendmail.  I was surprised that 8.13 didn't include SPF
  technology.

I can recommend spfmilter (http://www.libspf2.org/download.html); it's a
nice standalone piece of code which deals with high load and doesn't
require modifying sendmail. It also supports libspf2, which is a clean,
robust implementation which properly validates SPF records. We've tested
it for correctness, memory leaks, etc.

I expect a new release from Jef later this week which compiles out of the
box on FreeBSD 4 (currently a problem with -pthread), and adds the
remaining features requested by members of this list.

* While I use a lot of perl with my sendmail, eg MailScanner,
  the idea of another perl add-on for SPF makes me groan.
  Spf-milter was a nonstarter for me, since it coughed up a
  timeout complaint right away during testing.  C code patched/added
  into sendmail seems a better way to go.

Comments from the SPF crowd about which way to go, and why?
No flames about the "other guy" please, just the facts on why you
use one vs the other (and what platform and MTA?).

libspf2 was written because enough people were unhappy with the quality,
feature set and performance of libspf/libsrs to fire an alternative
project into action. Actually, libsrs2 and libspf2 started as
separate projects and joined with the aim of building a sensible and
unified system.

There has, as you have noticed, been considerable ummmm ...  heh :-)

Live and let live. Animosity not required.

S.

--
Shevek                                    http://www.anarres.org/
Robust Sender Policy Framework (SPF)      http://www.libspf2.org/